Sunday, December 14, 2008

Enjoy the ride!

Went snowboarding for the first time this season. It was a fantastic day, fresh powder and 6 brand new 25 ft. kickers. We hit the kickers all day, 9 a.m to 4 p.m. with no lunch break. I feel so alive when I am on the mountain. In tune with body and soul. There isn't anything like it. We went to a bar I used to drink at when I was underage and played pool for a couple hours before coming off the mountain. It was fun shooting pool and hanging out with some old friends. They all seem to appreciate me being sober, as most nights used to end with them having to get me out of some ridiculous situation. I am grateful that I have been able to maintain and repair those relationships and also be comfortable around my friends without alcohol. Thank god for the steps. I went to my homegroup meeting tonight, we had a huge turnout tonight because one of the old-timers in our group celebrated 36 years. In the middle of his share he points right at me and said, "if this sorry son of a bitch can get it, anyone can". He once stayed after a meeting and talked to me for 2 hours in my first 30 days. I needed it too. It is really amazing to think I have almost survived this year. It has been hell from the start. I had so much stuff that was out of my control this year, I can't believe I didn't drink over it. It is a great feeling to know that I can walk through "real life" stuff without getting loaded. My first 3 years were a real breeze now that I am looking back.


No comments: