Friday, November 28, 2008

Sobriety and Family

Last January my parents told us that they were getting divorced after 24 years of marriage. Making this the first thanksgiving with a new family dynamic. I am always sharing in meetings that one of the best things I got from working the steps was the relationships I now have with family. During what turned out to be an emotional thanksgiving for my parents and siblings, I was so happy to be able to care for others. Being able to do for my family, be useful to my family, a part of my family, allowed me to get out of self. Getting out of myself and doing for others is what gets me closest to my higher power and is to me, true freedom. I never would have guessed this is what life was all about when I was drinking. Now in sobriety I understand and am grateful to know the relationships I have with friends and family are truly what life is all about. Showing up and actually being there for family and the people I love is my living amends for all the times I wasn't there.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's awesome that you think of it that way. I think I would be too devastated to worry about others, and that's coming from a big growed up woman! Idk, maybe we surprise ourselves when situations come up. Like, maybe I know how i would feel but not what i would do, ya know?

anonymous@24 said...

Ann,
totally know what you mean. There is a HUGE difference between how you feel and what you do.