Tuesday, November 18, 2008

When do I get my first check?

I am on the most desperate job search of my life. Emailing resume, cover letter and answering whatever ridiculous questions each company decides to ask you is a job all by itself. Like a job but with out the pay. When you take the companies personality tests it is their way of determining whether or not you will go postal after a year and kill co-workers or customers. One I did online for a hotel desk job today had 4 different variations of the same statement, where of course you either: agree or strongly agree, disagree or strongly disagree with each statement.

I usually get angry with people. I am usually frustrated with people who I find annoying. I want to violently smash annoying peoples heads into a cold steel pole.

Even though I strongly agree with all of those statements in my everyday yield to make left turn life. I strongly disagree with them in the work place. I know the hotel doesn't want me banging customers heads into cold steel poles, so I answer accordingly.

Among other things, the internet has really made job searching a pain in the ass as much as it has made it a convenience. It has made employers skeptical and job seekers as well. Every reply I get to my application I have to google to find out if it is a pyramid scheme or an actual job. So far they have all been scams that got my resume off monster.com or yahoo hot jobs. All that has really happened with the job search for me is I have become more frustrated and much more likely to take a job that is nowhere near my skill set. Pays less, and is probably going to be in some place worse than the one I live in now. I really can't be picky though when it is predicted unempolyment will hit 10% through the winter.

It is hard enough getting employers to look past the fact I have only finished 2 years of college. It is hard enough hoping they don't find out I was charged with a misdemeanor theft when I was 18. It is hard enough to get them to read the letter of reccomendation I received from the dean of my university for helping struggling students last year. All of these things are made so much harder by the fact that it is almost impossible today for a charismatic hard working charmer like myself to meet the actual person who is hiring an actual employee.

With my checking account coming to a close, rent coming due, and no new job in line. I'll probably end up taking a job as a car salesman. It seems to pay more than the other non-degree jobs. On the bright side the economy is sure to help boost my sales numbers.

No comments: