Monday, November 24, 2008

ok last job related doom and gloom blogpost....I think

Still no job....WTF?

My resume has been sent out all over the country, if I wasn't anonymous on here you would be like "oh I know him, he sent his resume to the starbucks I work at". I am out of ideas, I have tons of promising leads but no one saying the 3 most important words, "when can you start?" God I would love to hear those words. Card games are hard to come by, I'm running out of things to Ebay, cigarettes are taking such a large percentage of what I have left I am considering quitting. Let's not get crazy though. On the brighter side, not working is allowing me to spend time in A.A. more. Tonight I spoke at a treatment center, one that I epic failed back in '03. The treatment center has a local member of A.A. speak every Monday. It was cool speaking to the residents from the perspective of someone who went through that same program. I cracked a couple good jokes that were topical, both concerning the sleep meds and family week. Then I went right into my usual what it used to be like, what happened, what its like now.

here is the short version of my usual hour story when I speak at treatment centers and jails.

I drank it was fun. It worked. It started working less, so I added drugs. then they both worked less and less and good times got fewer and farther away. then for 2 years I used and drank in total pain and pitiful incomprehensible demoralization. Then I came to A.A., was told to work the twelve steps, I got a sponsor, worked the 12 steps, honestly and thoroughly. My life is amazing now. I have a life beyond my wildest dreams. I show up in relationships. I clean house and help others to try and stay sober, in return I stay sober. I come to A.A. because it is better in here then it was out there.

Then no one hears a word of that and they all go back to talk to their therapists about how they can't figure out how to stay sober.




2 comments:

DM said...

Yup, I'm still reading. Since I blogrolled you, I'm sure others will follow....(bwahahaha, as if I matter that much!!..hahahaha...ahem, anyways)

I soooo totally hear ya on the job thing. I just spent the entire summer and fall looking for employment. I have a BA, too, but no one seemed to care.

I finally accepted two jobs - a bank teller for 15 hours and jewelry sales for another 15 hours. Both jobs that I did in my 20s without a degree.

But I guess this is life here in a crappy economy (in Michigan, no less) so, it's been humbling.

And it only hurt a little when I sold my Jag in September. (ok, a lot, but i.am.getting.over.it.)

anonymous@24 said...

Thanks for the blogroll. I'm sorry to hear about the Jag. I have always loved the older XJ. (I think thats the name.) I am now looking for another part time job since full time is needle in a haystack right about now. Stimulus package please?